Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving Thanks

Hello fellow Americans who like to stuff their faces every year in the honor of the Pilgrims and Indians getting along!
Here in Bali dreamman and I were ever so fortunate to find a restaurant that catered to ex pats and hosted a full Thanksgiving feast! Turkey, gravy, mashed potato's, candied yams, cranberry sauce, broccoli with cheese, green beans, zucchini, stuffing, wine, mushy pumpkin pie, the works, I mean really the works for an Island that eats nothing of the sort.
We jumped at the chance and got a reservation just in time, as the place got entirely booked. I knew that dinner would be served buffet style, and I had no problem with that. I was hoping that seating would be kind of communal and that we would get to eat and laugh with strangers just like the first ever Thanksgiving. Wrong. Every party was seated at separate reserved tables. Oh well, I thought, not such a big deal, especially since once we arrived we noticed that we were by far the youngest people there besides one other table of like minded and youthful individuals.
Now, I have no thing with age discrimination, its just that some of the other guests did not seem particularly approachable..example:
Jonathan and I got there a lil early so that we could order drinks and scope out the place. As the tables began to fill up, necks were craning to see when the buffet would be all set. Lover and I were enjoying a good glass of wine {this in itself was worth celebrating!!} and people watching from our table on the second level. There were only a few tables left to be seated, one, which was a big long table that I had originally hoped we would dine and mingle at. A party of 4 came in of 60 somethings and the host led them to the large table that could seat 8. The leader of the pack, an entitled woman, burst into disgust and began rolling her eyes and complaining immediately that the table was too big, the host would have to move them, as she started toward a four top that was set for 3. The host kindly told her that that table was reserved for other people. Mrs Entitled scoffed at this, while her minions all frowned in dismay at the blatant disrespect of not seating them at a proper table. The absolute best part of this whole charade was when Mrs Entitled yapped out "Oh great, so we will probably have to share the table too then huh??!!" I literally burst into laughter and had to muffle myself with a quick sip of wine. The audacity!!! Was this woman serious or just plane crazy and stupid? Isn't that EXACTLY what this holiday is based on, sharing with your fellow neighbors, eating laughing and getting along?

Example #2:

As I said, we were seated on the second level, which just so happened to be where the buffet was set up. We thought how great this was, because we would surly be at the front of the line. Once again..WRONG. Before the lids were even all the way removed from the warming trays there was a jammed up line of old people gabbing it up about how long it has taken the restaurant to get the buffet ready. I have never seen so many older people book it like that before. There were liver spots streaking by as one guy cut me off at the top of the stairs to get to the buffet before me!! Jonathan and I filed in with good humor and waited patiently. So much to be said for the second Mrs Entitled {not with the original group} Who could not keep her big mouth shut about having to wait in line. "Oh great, its not even moving...we will be here a while" she sneers to her friend, who has eyes by the way. I mean, everyone can see its a big line of hungry people, she did not have to point this out. She carried on for the entire duration of the wait. I wanted to push her. Then even funnier to me, was that as fast as these people got their wrinkly selves into line, once it was their turn, they were slower than a snail, trying to get the best cut of turkey, and did they want gravy on everything, or on the side, and "whats this? what?? what??"!!! It was all too much for me.

All in all Lover and I had a great time, and certainly some laughs at these peoples expenses. Hope you all had just as good if not a better Thanksgiving!!!
xoxoox
Alicia Claire

1 Comments:

At December 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM , Blogger vix said...

I had a great one sitting at a table with a 12 year old and 2 others in first and second grades. We did napking folding and had fun!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home