Saturday, August 16, 2008

Train Tracks

The travel drams never ceases!! So here's the story of our 20 hour overnight train from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg:
We woke up in our bizarre hostel called Base Camp, run by another woman named Monica. This lady was a lot kookier. She was about 70, with jet black dyed hair..loooved to talk, and I think make up stories too..as some of her talking was total nonsense to me. Overall though, she was super nice. The hostel was an old Victorian house, and had all sorts of strange people staying there. Jonathan seemed to like some of them, but I was over them to tell you the truth..and ready to get on with our adventure.
We set out first to get a good breakfast in us before the ride, but of course, it was Sunday, and like Cape Town, everything is closed, and all ghost town like. We did end up finding a spot, and both had a big yummy breakfast.
Or....so we thought..later we were both suffering [mildly] from our first bout of not so goodness food poisoning!!! THANK GOODNESS FOR PEPTO!! Sorry to be so blunt, but it all comes with travel, and I guess we should be happy we made it this far into the trip with no trouble of this sort!!
But can you imagine having to be on a 20 hour train ride not feeling so good??? Not to mention the ladies on the train was certainly not so gorgeous, plus, when you flushed, a hole in the toilet opened up and whatever was in there went straight out onto the tracks....gross..I know. Africa..
Besides our not feeling so well, which was quickly cured from pepto, we were both excited about the train ride across the country. We had our own sleeper car which was gorge..although the beds were bunk, and not either was big enough for my lover and I to cuddle on :{. We did get to enjoy the dining car though, and have a drink or 2 as the countryside slipped by.
The train offers and sets up bedding for you if you do not have your own, so that was good because I do not think we could be carrying anything extra on our backs!! As we got ready for bed I was sad about not being able to sleep next to my dreamman {as we ARE married now, and not living in "sin" or under my parents roof} hahaha, but I was tired enough that I thought I would have no trouble sleeping. Well, was I ever wrong. It was so cold on that train that I could see my breath, and even though the train people gave us bedding, they were flimsy blankets that did not do the trick. I literally had on jeans, a tank top, long sleeve shirt, 2 hoodies, a hat and a scarf, and I was freezing!!!!
This was the worst night ever!!! So after no sleep..and no coffee we then had to dal with finding a bus to ride to Pretoria..
Thankfully we made it OK besides all that!!
Can you believe that??!!!
xoxox
Alicia Claire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home