Monday, October 20, 2008

Drags and hags

Its been a while since I have given you all a taste of my life, so here is a little back log.
On Koh Tao there is a LADY BOY show that occurs every evening. This is a second class show to what goes on in Bangkok. The lady boys are just that, boys that are more like girls , performing in drag, and very effeminate, so much so that you actually might mistake some of them for being real girls.

In the early evening they are all out in flapper dresses sans make-up and handing out flyer's for tonight's big show. One night as Jonathan and I were going to dinner 3 of the lady boys stopped us and were cooing all over me. Not a surprise as I was sparkling and shimmering galore with all my glitter, they were drawn to my glitz like minnows to a lure..too easy. One of them was particularly enamored with me, and it was her that made it impossible to say no to the show layer that night.

Now, as I said, Koh Toa is second runner up to Bangkok, therefore I went to the show already epxecting what the level of performance would be, but still happy to be there. As you all know I am coming from San Francisco here, where I am indulged in some of the best performances, makeup, and fashion, enough to make your eyes bleed with visions of wildness {Valentine!!!!} so I have incredibly high standards. I pushed my standards aside for this evening though, and just decided to let the performers perform.

The show was ridiculous, outlandish even. The costumes were torn taffeta, tassels, glitter and technicolored. Hideous in a very trying way. The songs lip synced to were not always memorized and were bad ballads. The head pieces were astronomical and absolute pices of mind blowing art created by the lady boys themselves over sweat and tears for sure. Last but not least, the make up was beautiful, enough to give and MAC girl a run for her brushes and compartments full of shadow. The show as a whole was a mix of terror and grace. Half of it I was blown away by {headpieces and eyes} the other half made me shudder in sorrow for their faulted efforts. One thing did ring true though, through the whole performance. All these lady boys were passionate. They loved what they do, and you could see their happiness of being on stage dripping out into the audience like octopus tentacles.

I sat with a permanent smile for the entirety of the show. These lady boys wouldn't make it in Bangkok, and never in San Francisco, but they were happy there. At then end of the show, some of the performers came out and pulled some people out of the audience and brought them back stage. Of course you all know that I was one of the chosen!!! hhahaaha!!! Miss thing who was adoring me earlier that evening was the one to grab me. Backstage she grabbed a venomously ugly coral coloured gown that had safety pins where the zipper should be, and she helped me into it promptly. At this point I realized I would be performing on stage too!! I made a quick decision to work the look like no other, she had no idea she was dealing with such a drag veteran!! I looked at my lady boy assistant and told her I needed a wig. She practically fell over with exalted pleasure. She grabbed ajust as wretched tangerine colored wig, and I held my hair up for her to fit it on me properly. After a swipe of tangerine lip gloss I was shuffled out onto stage. Oh the look on Jonathan's Face!!!!

I along with all the other claimed guests from the audience then danced around the stage, or rather, the rest of them shuffled around self consciously while I flailed and twirled to my, the lady boys and Johnath's delight!!!!

This was one of the most hysterical and non sensical moments of this entire trip!! There will be some photos to follow at some point{as all the lady boys wanted to pose with me for pictures after the show!!}!

Days later on the Island of Koh Phangan, Jonathan and I attended another memorable event: The infamous Full Moon Party. We are staying in a gorgeous cove a boat ride away from the beach that host this wild and raunchy party every month..{thank god}. We set out for the evening around 11pm, and as the boat curved into view of the party beach it was settled that we were in for a night of debauchery. Not our debauchery, as I had been sick, and drinking was a bad idea, and Jonathan was keeping it low profile for my sake as well, but the general public sobriety was a whole nother story.

The beach was lit up from end to end with neon blinding brightness, and djs blasting out the "DISCO DISCO" tunes to deafening decimals. As our boat pulled in we were ever so lovely welcomed by 3 guys in a row peeing right into the ocean where we docked and waving at us. It was at this point that I knew it was going to be a bad scene!!

We decided to walk the length of the beach in search of dancable music, as all I wanted to do was dance it out. On our lovers stroll we witnessed many, many people alreday completely passed out in the sand {remember its only 11pm here!!} people stumbling all over the place sloshing their liquor filled buckets everywhere, people vomiting in the ocean...with nearly 10 feet away people swimming in that same ocean, and just the absolute worst choice in the trampiest outfits ever!!!!!

Needless to say we got some good laughs out of the evening, and some even better photos {coming soon}. We decided to settle into one of the biggest dance partys on the beach, and had more fun people watching to ok house music. Later as I was just over it, and sober and tired we agreed that we should get a baot back. Just as we were headed to the boats we heard some wild drum and bass coming from a muchless populated part of the beach. As this is one of both of our favs, I pushed my tirdness out of view, and we headed over. If I was to put up with all these drunky messes I at least wanted the redeption of a good dance.

The drum and bass party was the LOOK!!!

1 Comments:

At October 23, 2008 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Barb57 said...

Oh my brain hurts trying to visualize your dance with the Lady Boys and Jon enjoying the show. I can't wait to see these pictures!! I am so glad you are feeling better. We were all so worried!!
Much hugs and loves, Cousin Barb

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home