Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Its never easy

Oopps...seems Jonathan and I just wrote about exactly the same thing..here is my version, then his {I think his is better}

Ok..here we are back In Delhi. This place makes me want to rip my hair out of my head..ok, that's a little of an exaggeration..rather it makes me want to shake everyone here really hard until they get it that this place is crazy, and something needs to change!!!!
We spent the last couple of days in Solan hanging with Lovers old host family, and that was lovely. Reinu made us a fabulous lunch one day, and it was a vegetarians delectable delight!! We got to spend another afternoon eating samosas and some sinful desert cake that had enough sugar in it to fuel a space craft!! I liked it!!!! The point is though, we had a great time...then we had to come back to Delhi...
The day we left Solan, we started off the morning getting into it with crappy cab drivers who are all scammers{we had hoped to take a cab to Kalka where we had to catch a train to Delhi}. Then we had to go to the train station instead, and book a ticket on the super slow{ but beautiful}toy train. After almost 3 hours on the most uncomfortable toy train we made it to Kalka where we waited another hour for the train to Delhi. That ride was ok, but long. We arrived in Delhi around 9:30 pm, and then had to hike out of the train station into the never ending madness of this city past all the wretched rickshaw drivers and to our overpriced guest house. We walked to our guesthouse because we knew that it wasn't too far, and I could not deal with the rickshaw urchins at that point. We made it to our room, which was very nice...or so it seemed!!! NOTHING is ever easy for us, not in India at least. There was no window in our room, but there were vents open to the hallway. The absurdly loud and annoying hallway. Early in the morning there were guys sanding the wall in the hallway, and so much foot traffic, and phones ringing, and people talking at high octaves. It was horrible. After our long trip all we wanted was to sleep in!! Mind you, this place is also the most expensive place we have stayed in this entire trip!!!
Jonathan was over it, and went to the front desk, where, amazingly, they were nice, and told us we could move rooms. This was great...but I have to tell all of you...I am OVER packing and unpacking, and moving so frequently, so to have to change rooms was like torture to my sleep deprived brain and body.
After getting settled we headed out for breakfast. Into the heat and muck and myer of Delhi. We had to walk a bit to get to where we were going, and people are lucky I did not start swinging my umbrella around to get them away from us. It is just impossible to walk in this city without being harassed.
We leave for Thailand tomorrow morning. Please wish us luck, and a better environment than Delhi!!!!
xoxoxo Alicia Claire

1 Comments:

At October 1, 2008 at 5:39 PM , Blogger vix said...

My first question was going to be "When the heck are you leaving India?" but it looks like tomorrow. Alicia Claire, I hope that you never choose to visit Delhi again in your lifetime. I fear for the scamers. Poor Carolyn I hope you are both praying for her, as her stay will be soooo long. Thailand should be wonderful, our friends spend a couple of months there every January thru February. Hope future stories are all good! Love, vix

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home