Sunday, August 17, 2008

Reading Rainbow

Here are my reads thus far..there are some good ones so I thought I would share:

Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim
By David Sedaris
This book is a quick read, and funny in the sense of pointing out the mundane and obvious nonsense of everyday life that people don't talk about. I enjoyed it, but I think that Augesten Burroughs has him beat by a long shot in the hysteria bracket. I do recommend it though for something easy breezy.

The Historian
By Elizabeth Kostova
Amazing!! This is her first novel and I just adored it. This is a big read that you just do not want to put down. Of course I am biast due to my fascination with Vampire lore, but this book goes beyond that. The actual history info in this book is flawless, and just thinking of all the research she did to accomplish this literary wonder is a reason to respect her and the book. Highly recommended..I was sad to read the last chapter as I did not want it to end!!

A Million Little Pieces
By James Frey
I have mixed feelings about this book and author. It is a good quick read, and he writes in a fast pace addictive manner...which is apropos, since its and addict story. Interesting In the sense that you get inside his head, annoying is his UN abashed fullness of himself. Semi recommended..zztztz

Water For Elephants
By Sara Gruen
Lovely. A fun and interesting read about the circus and carnie freaks back when carnivals truly were a spectacle. Being a lady who loves a carnival I found this even more so interesting. I also enjoyed how she told the story though an old mans perspective..it was light and refreshing especially after the heaviness of my last read. Totally recommended!

Shadowmarch
By Tad Williams
Loved. Ok, you do have to be into fantasy drams and like to imagine a triptych dreamlamd with fairies and castles and decadent fashion!! But truly this is a wonderful start to a trilogy. Tad's writing style is descriptive and he certainly has a way of creating this magical distant world in such a way that the images unfold with ease in your mind as you read. I could easily see this as a film. Certainly recommended if once again you like to dip far far from reality and into lands full of strange and bizarreness!!

Shadowplay
By Tad Williams
The second of the trilogy..also loving, as I am not done yet. He has me hooked and if it were not for me being so sleepy every time I pick this up I would tear through it as Lover did!! I am looking forward to seeing what happens!!

That's all for now, although we did just go to the bookstore here in Mumbais and buy3 new books!! Oh, and of course you can also count fashion magazines into the line up..whenever I get a chance I pick one up. I am still partial to my fav..Zink Magazine, but I have had fun with what I have looked at thus far..

Stay tuned for Jonathan's episode of Reading Rainbow, and be for warned that he is a reading maniac, and has read practically double what I have, with some overlapping.

Take a look, its in a book, at Reading Rainbow!!

4 Comments:

At August 18, 2008 at 2:57 AM , Blogger Kilaru Sambaiah said...

Hi JC and Alicia,
You will get good cocktail in Goa. Goa is also cheap boasts less takes for booze. Many people in other parts of India go there for booze. Goan/Konkan food is famous for fish. Try local food.

 
At August 18, 2008 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Amy Claybaugh said...

OOOhhh, thanks for the list. I have been hungry for some fun summer reads and your fantasy trilogy may hit the spot!

 
At August 19, 2008 at 9:36 AM , Blogger vix said...

I too say thanks for the list, lots of time still on my hands. My question is, did you carry these books with you, or can you buy boooks in english where ever you are? Love, Vix

 
At August 20, 2008 at 1:12 AM , Blogger Alicia Claire and Jonathan said...

Vicky - we have been buying our books along the way (or trading them when possible at guesthouses) and then abandoning them. Somewhat of an expensive & heavy habit, but well worth it when you've got 12-24 hour train rides, etc...

-Jonathan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home