Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Some thoughts on doing nothing...

All in all, doing close to nothing on the beach in Africa for 11 days was as wonderful as I'd imagine it could be. Our activities of reading, eating, walking on the beach might not suit everyone, but if anyone reading thinks this may be something for them I'd encourage you to give it a try.

I can clearly say I'm more relaxed now than I was a week and a half ago, which to me is a bit strange, since my last day of work was in early May... I think there are many negative things about leading a super busy, 'driven', modern Western life that is very, very hard to shake. I think for many of you readers I think this observation is a bit like stating the obvious.

After sitting watching the eight different colors of blue in the Zanzibar coast line change under the sun day after day I simply feel much better.

We have had an amazing time here. If anyone reading this later is planning a world trip we would highly encourage anyone to plan a 10-15 day stay in the middle of your trip somewhere like Paje. It is long enough to really, really unwind yourself as well as enough time to meet some locals.

Speaking of, we are off this evening for our dinner in the village with a local friend we met, Hadidja. We could not be more excited!

We are off tomorrow for the ferry from Stone Town to Dar. Then a flight to Cape Town, very exciting to see a new country.

-Jonathan

1 Comments:

At July 24, 2008 at 7:32 AM , Blogger vix said...

Babygirl, i just read an article ALL about vacations, the need for them and the length of them. 2 weeks gives you a 2 week after glow and should be the minimum for anyone to unwind,smell the roses, see the sky, stars and reconnect with your soul and the universe. i know that is what i need once a year and just wish we could all have more! you and jonathan are giving all of us a trip of a lifetime through your blog..LOVE it, enjoy! you are making my summer! xoxo vix

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home