Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dancing Da Da Dancing!!!

One of the things I love most in this world is DANCING!!! Before we left for this trip I vowed to dance all over the world, and to my disappointment, I have not been dancing as much as I would love. I did have an amazing dance moment with Sarah in Barcelona, but in Egypt there was no such thing..one more reason I was not in love, and in Zurich we were only there for 2 nights and did not have enough money. Finally..after being in Tanzania for almost a month..I got to work it out on the dance floor like a total wild woman!!!!
Here in Paje we have met quite a few locals, and gotten the chance to really hang out. A couple of days ago we met Isaou, "Mr Nice" is how he is often referred to by locals and village people. He is a super cool guy, our age, and fluent in English. The day we met him, he invited us out for some drinks at a local spot, and we jumped at the offer. We ended up on the beach at some spot we would have never come across in the neighboring town of Jambiani. There was a bonfire flaring from a hole dug in the sand, and a bar with lots of boys with dreadlocks and cool looks hanging out. The DJ was playing funky reggae. That evening was all about chilling out, and we got to have some good conversation with interesting people happy to speak English, and talk to a lady {me} since local girls don't really hang out for cocktails. That evening we learned about a huge festival that was starting 2 days later. This festival happens the same time every year and lasts for 4 days. The festival takes place in Macanduchi, and is a celebration of the Persian New Year and Old customs that date back to when the Arabs ruled Zanzibar. At this point it is a crazy day of kooku customs, and 4 nights of dancing and debauchery.
Isaou, being our new friend and truly a nice guy invited us to go with him and a bunch of his friends to the daytime part of the festival, and then to also go dancing later. This was so lucky for us. Had we not met Isaou, we would have never known about this amazing festival, and would have missed out on one of the best moments Zanzibar has to offer. We met up with Isaou at 10am, and piled into his car to drive the 1/2 hour over to Macanduchi. This ordinarily quiet dirt road village is turned into a full out hot spot with booths set up selling everything form peanuts, corn on the cob, cigarettes, plastic toys, strange white faced dolls, soda soda soda, and more. The day time part of the festival is all about tribes of men running through the town, and all meeting in a clearing for a full on battle with banana sticks. This is absolutely crazy, and even disturbing. First of all it is hot out. Very very hot, and these guys are running, some dressed in full winter coats, trench coats, sweaters, hats, caring whips made of plant fibers and banana tree sticks, and bizarre face makeup. While they are running they are singing some song about the woman, which later in the afternoon the women respond to by running and singing.
Once everyone has gathered in the clearing {close to 1000 people} and the guys have run too many laps and are sweating to death, the fight begins. Apparently its all in good fun, but seemed vicious to me. The tribes start wailing on each other with the sticks and whips while the crowd cheers. It is now obvious why they had on coats and hats..as armour!! Needless to say this whole scene was too dramatic for me, but people were loving it. After the whole banana beat down everyone leaves to shower, rest, eat and get ready for the night party.
We went back around 8:30 with a car packed with locals. As we arrived and got out of the car people actually shouted "Muzungo!!!" in surprise {which means "White Boy/ white person"}. Many tourists go to the day part of the festival, but not many end up at the night party. We made our way to what seems now the most popular disco. {The disco is just a plot of land encased in canvas walls} There had to be at least 5 different discos set up, djs blasting music, and lights flashing all raver club style. It was a little like a Burningman dance party only in Africa and we were the only white people!! Amazing.
The music was so loud, and I was so glad I had remembered to bring our earplugs. The sound was mostly local dance music, and some reggae and dance hall. I was in love. I danced from the moment we got there till I had nothing left. 3 and 1/2 hours must have passed I was drenched in sweat and too happy. The dance floor was packed and people were having it. The scene was amazing!!! There was a good mix of guys and girls, but no lady was dancing like me, that's for sure. I think some people thought I was crazy, but mostly they all loved me for being a wild woman. The only drinks to have was warm beer!! uughhh gross...I stuck to water and was fine, and better off since I was so sweaty..I needed to replenish. I had not worked my body out like that in a long time, and it just made me feel so incredible. I LOVE DANCING!!!!!
Because we had gone out with Isaou before, we ended up knowing so many people on the dance floor, and that made the evening even better. At one point I really looked around, and realized I was dancing amongst boys of all ages, girls in their fancy printed outfits, and headscarves, Masai Warriors draped in their tribes fabric with stretched earlobes, all kicking up a red orange dust from the ground, and it dawned on me how lucky I was.
I love Tanzania too much, and am sad to leave tomorrow. I have another amazing story to tell, but you will all have to stay tuned..I need to go and get my act together for now.
xoxoxoxoxoxox
Alicia Claire

3 Comments:

At July 23, 2008 at 8:55 AM , Blogger vix said...

LOVE this episode of your trip!!! So happy for you to have the opportunity to meet the locals and experience something so special!!! Good thing they take a break after the banana fight to shower ew..can you imagine if they didn't!!! GF did you have your dancing shoes (heels) on??? your sparkles???? i want to hear what the women your age have to say about your tribal makeup!!!!! we have also been in situations where i am the only white blonde long legged woman with both women and men staring at me....it's a strange but curious feeling.

 
At July 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM , Blogger Lauraefrank@gmail.com said...

LADY!!!! This was a fabulous fabulous post!! I can just see you shakin it, waving you hands around on an earthen dance floor. Work!!

 
At July 28, 2008 at 12:02 AM , Blogger Nina said...

Yay! Living here there are so many opportunites to dance it's easy to take it for granted. I miss it so much when i travel and it's such a delight to find it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home