Monday, November 3, 2008

teeny weeny

After 5 and 1/2 months away from San Francisco, and however many countries later, out limited wardrobe has begun to deteriorate. Not to mention the lost items along the way. Coming to Bangkok I was thrilled to replenish my dwindling underwear situation in a modern shopping mall. I know, I know, who would have ever thought I would be so happy to go shopping in the mall, but after all we have been through, a place where we could go and replenish clothes, beauty product and toiletries all under a massive air conditioned roof sounded fabulous!!

A new bra and underwear were top priority on my list. I thought that I would have absolutely no problem finding what I needed for a good price. Jonathan, being the good sport that he is accompanied me to the mega mall structure {which already had Christmas decorations up..it wasn't even Halloween yet, oh, and this is THAILAND!}. Everything looked so shiny and new, and upon seeing the Balenciaga store, Versace, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton shops as well I realized it might be a lil harder than I thought to find affordable underwear. We persevered and made our way to the department store in the mall figuring they would have an entire section dedicated to what I needed and hopefully a sale.

Lucky us, there were of course sales, as always in the department store. Unlucky, there was nothing suitable for me. Thai women are so tiny it is silly. I am slender, but my rib cage must be at least double the size of theirs, and forget about my legs!!! Not only that, but because Thai women are so small, I foolishly thought that finding a bra would be easy since their bust size is small, as is mine. Well...unless you want a padded beyond belief pillow style bra you are out of luck. I am against padded bras..I think they are lame and stupid, but apparently Thai women wear nothing but. Even the bandeau tops were padded. Camisoles were padded, and yes, sports bras too. EVERYTHING was stuffed fuller than any thanksgiving turkey on its special day.

Ok, so getting a new bra was out, my tattered travel ones will have to last, but I needed to get a couple extra underwear as I have lost a few in laundry nonsense, and I have too few to circulate. There was a bin that had all the sale underwear in it, and I was determined to find a pair or two. Did I mention that Thai women are minuscule??!! The bin was overflowing with small and medium undies, I normally fit into either category depending on the brand. I examined a medium and, I kid you not, it looked like a pair of underwear for a six year old. I mean I could probably have pulled them up just over my knee and then no further. They were teeny tiny. I then found some XL pairs, which I had to refuse..they were granny panty all the way, and I just could not go there. Finally I found 2 pairs, really, only 2 pairs of size large. The size large would be a small in America. I decide to just go for it, since I was in dire straits, and cross my fingers that they stretched over my thighs.

I got lucky, they fit..thank goodness for stretchy cotton!! But seriously I have never seen smaller women, and the whole shopping in the underwear department really brought that home for me. I am like a giant from another planet. I am ok with this...but be for warned..if you are coming to Thailand pack enough undies to last..!!!!
xoxoxoxo
Alicia Claire

3 Comments:

At November 4, 2008 at 5:45 AM , Blogger Rob said...

Alicia.

If you haven't left. You can go to the tailor area (a bell person or hotel front desk will know). Take your favorite bra and panties you have left and probablly get them to make you a couple sets for like $20 custom made. Bangkok has wicked cheap tailors.

 
At November 4, 2008 at 5:49 AM , Blogger Rob said...

I also found an article with some tips at:
http://www.squidoo.com/expatwomenbangkok


"Not even all Thai women are that small! Particularly with the current influx of British chain stores such as Marks & Spencer, TopShop, Dorothy Perkins, Next and the European store, Zara, it is becoming more and more possible to get clothes in "normal" western sizes."

 
At November 4, 2008 at 1:56 PM , Blogger vix said...

WOW, something like this would never enter my brain as a problem. Very interesting especially when there are so many travelers around the world. Good thing you know Rob, sounds like he can help. Good luck. Love, vix

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home