Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Moldy Blues

After we left Delhi, as Lover has mentioned we spent 1 night in Chandigarh, then off to Shimla. Shimla is a town toppling on the edge of a mountain. It is gorgeous, and literally your head is in the clouds!! The entirety of this place is clinging to the mountain side in a manner that would make Willy Wonka proud.

The views are absolutely spectacular, and for once the people did not bother me as in Delhi. The stares never cease, but there was no grabbing at me or the never ending hassle. Our Hotel was high up on this silly mountain town and thus allowed us such a scene to look at. The omnipresent mold covering the walls was not so lovely to look at.

At first glance at our room I just thought that the walls were dirty, and this being India, and after all the cockroaches and other madness, I have softened, and decided not to care about the dirt. Bad choice. Later that same day I decided to touch the wall to see if the "dirt" was permanent. Nope. It came off on my finger and at this point I understood the doom of the situation. I am lethally allergic to black mold. Within hours I was unable to breath...thank goodness for that inhaler I had gotten before this trip. After two strong steroid blasts of that bad boy I was breathing again. The only reprieve I got from another wretched asthma attack was to leave all the barred windows open, 24/7. The windows are barred because there is a sneaky monkey problem in Shimla, and they will come right into your room and either totally trash the place or steal your stuff!!!

Keeping the windows open does not seem like such a bad deal, but right next door to our guesthouse there was non stop construction on a place being built that recently experienced a massive landslide onto the site. The workers were at it night and day trying to clear the scene and continue with the project. Thus, fresh air came at the expense of our ears practically bleeding from the noise long into the night.

To make matters worse, then my dreamman got horribly ill. We had hoped to relax and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of this mountain town and instead dealt with almost more trouble and drama than two people can handle.

I did get to enjoy a slice of this beautiful place, solo, as lover rested. As I said before it was such a change and I actually felt comfortable being alone, thankfully. I could not have dealt with harassment on top of everything else. I was sad though, to not be able to truly share this place with my lover, but I at least got some good pics to share with all you. {see on of Jonathan's posts}

I also had a few monkey moments, but thanks to my magical monkey power {I was born under the year of the monkey} they did not bother me...so much. [they have actually been know to grab a ladies purse right off her, and empty the contents at will!!} After my walk around I went back to our mold infested room to sit and read next to the window for optimal breathing while lover continued to rest miserably in bed. As I was reading I heard some wicked monkey sounds, and glanced out the window to find myself face to face with one of these feisty beasts. I willed my monkey power and gave it a stern look of warning to get away from the bars, when it lunged forward, scaring me half to death. I flew across the room at lightening speed with a yelp at a pitch only I could make, and of course disturbed Jonathan even more!! I thought that wicked lil guy was going to slither right through those bars and attack my face!!!!!

Luckily...that did not happen, and after realizing how much he had frightened me, I believe the monkey laughed and was on his way!!! Unbelievable!!

okzzttzzz
xoxoxoxox
Alicia Claire

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2008 at 10:57 AM , Blogger vix said...

Love the monkey story and happy to hear that he did NOT get into your room, and happy to hear that none of them tried to take your things away......perhaps you are a strange creature to them as you are to the Indians!! When we were on Lake Powell we had ring tailed cats, that trashed the place and shat every 2 feet. We had the place all closed up one night, but Richard kept our window open, the little bugger, riped open the screen walked all over Richard and proceed to party AGAIN!! In retrospect, everything that is eww when it happens is quite funny later on!! Love, vix

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home