Friday, August 29, 2008

Umbrellas are the look

Not for the rain...as we have been wildly lucky and not had many wet moments, but for the sun!!! It is so hot here it is practically unbearable. We are now in Alleppey, only about an hours train ride out of Cochin, Kerela. Don't worry, that ride was easy breezy..we did get stared at as we were the only travelers on this commuter train, but the ride was short and sweet. My fall down the flight of steps leading to the train with my giant backpack on was not as sweet!!!
To get to the track our train left from we had to go up 2 flights of stairs, then over a lil pedestrian bridge, and back down. The bottom of my super comfy Jesus sandals slipped on the edge of the step, and I had I not been wearing a 30lb pack on my back, and holding my not so light day pack in my arms, I might have been able to catch myself. But instead I made even more of a spectacle of myself..luckily for me with nothing more than a few bruises. But as if I don't get stared at enough as is here!!!
Any how...we made it. So far as I mentioned Alleppey is HOT!!!!! If I did not have my umbrella to shade my ever so delicate skin I just do not know what I would do!! Everyone here in India is smart enough to carry them around though. Men and women alike. That little bit of shade truly does make a difference in over all temperature.
We are staying at a gorgeous spot that is super lazy and pretty. We actually got the recommend from our friend Laura, who was here in December. The guy that works there is super cool, and remembers her, and was so happy to know that we came here because of the recommend!!
Lover and I have decided to do something extravagant, and spend a night on a beautiful houseboat that rides up the supposedly stunning backwaters. On the boat they serve you all meals, and all that is required of the passengers is to just relax and enjoy the beauty. Not so bad.
ok..xoxoxox
Alicia Claire

2 Comments:

At August 29, 2008 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Lauraefrank@gmail.com said...

Umbrella wonderland!!! I'm SO excited that you are going do the backwater laze through alleppey... and I LOVE that the gowri manager remembered me... maybe it was the desperate look in my eye, dying for english-speaking company, or the huge sleepless bags under my eyes that he remembers most?? The temple across grom gowri is stunning, the beach has no shade and should be avoided because you will melt more than you've melted on this trip combined, and tell sumesh that you've never seen an elephant before and does he know of one around? (you just might get a new, rather large friend delivered to the front porch for a pet!!) im so jealous.

 
At September 1, 2008 at 10:49 AM , Blogger vix said...

AC happy to hear that you were only bruised by your fall!! I doubt that you really need to do anything to get more attention. I hope that the houseboat turns out to be all that you are looking for! Happy water travel. Love vix

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home