Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dance Club Nonsense

Dancing around the world has been a lil tougher than anticipated...I am trying, that is for sure, its just not so easy.

We are in Goa which is known for its parties. Although, we are in the off season of course, but there are still plenty of people here, and clubs, bars and restaurants open. Last night we attempted an evening of dancing. We went to the same spot we had been the day before for a drink, Tito's. The sign had said there were to be 3 different DJs playing house and hip hop. Also the owner told us that on Saturday night they were open till 6am and the place would be "rockin".

We were both skeptical, but we had nothing better to do, and I am always down for a dance. We arrived around 10pm to avoid the cover and pat down {this was a good move on our part, because I would not have wanted to pay for what follows}. Jonathan and I decided to find a table and bench near the perimeter of the club so that we could listen to the ocean and have a couple drinks and lounge. Tito's does serve cocktails, and since Goa is supposed to be the spot to get drinks in India I jumped into the deep end one last time, and ordered a drink. I have to admit it was better than most of my other experiences, but mediocre at best. I started out ordering Fenny and a juice. Fenny is a clear alcohol made from either distilled coconut or cashews, and its locally made.

I went coconut style, with a pineapple juice on the side. Fenny is rough. Real rough, like rubbing alcohol rough. They serve it as a small shot in a tall glass {of course no ice} and then you can order either a juice or soda of your choice to go with it. Pineapple juice was a good choice since it helped mask the fumes, making it able for me to choke it down. Next I had the same small shot, but of the local vodka...this was 1000 times better!! The only trouble is that after 3 drinks I felt as if I had really only had 1 strong drink, and to keep buying a million cocktails did not seem like a good idea.

The place did get "Rockin" as the owner had said. Before we knew it, Tito's was packed. We were surprisingly part of the very few crowd of travelers. The overall crowd was mostly Indian guys dressed terribly in the "cool guy outfit" which consists mostly of bad iron on decals, along with sequin and glitter emblems, paired with tight lame over done jeans with "cool" fades and prints on the butt and thighs. The girls were featuring tight jeans and hideous heels with flowy pastel tops. Blahh..Very bad super trend grossness.

As for the music..House and Hip Hop...umm..did I say house?? There was no house music to be heard!! It must have been a mis print on that sign!! Instead the music was bad bad bad late 90s rap and hip hop, I guess. Also there were the cliche clubby top 40 jams maybe from last summer thrown in there too. oh, and about the 3 different DJs, that did not happen either, it was the same guy for as long as we were there. But the Indian crowd was all about it!! The dance floor was packed with people that had no rythem, and I have absolutely no idea what beat they were moving to, but they all seemed to be loving it. I on the other hand, had to muster all my strength to just sit there, and try not to laugh out loud at the monstrosity before me.

As you may have guessed, this was not our scene and there was no dancing to be done for me at Tito's. Lover and I left and took a stroll on the beach before taking a lunatic taxi ride home. The night was nonsense, but we had fun just taking in the silliness of cultural differences.
xoxoxox
Alicia Claire

1 Comments:

At August 26, 2008 at 12:19 PM , Blogger vix said...

I laugh out loud at what you REALLY think is going to happen and then what actually happens...your decriptions are hysterical. I love everything that you both write. I surprised that you haven't given up on the whole alcohol thing yet. Love, vix

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home