Thursday, December 11, 2008

Its raining, Its pouring

Time to take a shower!!!
Ok..you are all thinking what?? Here is the deal. The island Gili Air is the smallest of the 3 Gili Islands. It is Extra Super Mega Mellow. As lover has mentioned, there are no motor vehicles and the sound of transport is Christmas style sleigh bells gently jostling off small horses backs. The other means of transport
is your feet plodding down dusty paths or along the white sand which is
clustered with coral..Another gorgeous sound is all the coral clanging
together in the lap of the oceans waves. It is a melodic windchime sound and I just love it.
This Island only received electricity 10 years ago! All the bungalows are bamboo and palm leaves weaved together, which kind of keep the bugs out :{. There is also not really any fresh water on this island. Nor does it rain very much at all here on this little tiny paradise. Fresh water has to be brought in on boats, and all
drinking water is from the traditional office water cooler stands which
are also brought in on boat.
What I am getting at here is that a tiny island with no fresh water is quite alarming for me. The water coming out of the shower and sink, and which we fill the bucket next to the toilet to flush with is all salt water. They claim here that it is
a salt water and fresh water mix, but I beg to differ. Try showering in
salt water and you realize that your soap doesn't foam up, and that you
never quite feel clean as you are covered in a salty film. Oh, and
forget about washing your hair. Its just not possible.
Now, I have been loving my time and afternoon swims when the sun is not so detrimental to my precious fairness, but after that swim all I want to do is rinse off in clean water and get the saltiness off my limbs and hair. Never being able to get the sea water out of my hair is the worst. My locks end up feeling all dry and damaged. Not the look for gorgeous hair!
Well, luck must have been on my side the other day, because after my daily water workout whilst walking back to our bungalow, it started pouring. I mean Rain drops so big they seem more like the wrath of a waterfall than just pure water out of the sky!!! I found this wonderful and laughed the whole way home as we were drenched completely. It was pefect for me as I was just in my bikini anyways, but Jonathan had on shorts with all sorts of stuff in the pockets that should not be
wet, so he did not find it as funny as me. By the time we got back to our bungalow I decided to make the most of it and just shower in the rain!! I got our bar of soap and my razor and had the best cleansing shower standing in the mud with my bathing suit on, that I have had since arriving on this parched island!! It was truly wonderful.
Can you just imagine the hilarity of this situation, the mud around my feet bubbling up with soap suds. It was perfect!!!
We have had no rain since, and I have had to go back to the sea water shower, but now I fancy myself with the luxury of at least pouring bottle water over my head to try and diminish the salt residue in my hair!!
Here's to crossing my fingers for more rain storms!!
xoxoxo
Alicia Claire

1 Comments:

At December 19, 2008 at 12:51 PM , Blogger vix said...

Who would ever think to pray for rain....while in a tropical paradise???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home